Welcome to Pond Boss.

As for the safety of the fish -- the fish should be tested, not the water. The water in a small body will keep changing. The reason to test the fish is because they will have slowly absorbed what is in the water. One of the larger catfish would be best, as it will have been in the pond the longest.

Hopefully somebody from Missouri will pop in to suggest where you can get such testing done. Maybe Rainman - Rex. We unfortunately lost our aquacutlure extension service here is WV, along with our pathologist due to budget cuts. Hopefully, MO has better sense.

As for getting the big catfish out of the pond absolutely! Catfish become hook shy very quickly. I've been through it more than once when I can't get them out. I don't throw any catfish back that over about 16 to 18 inches. I don't remember how big the big ones got, but I know that a number of them made it to about 14 pounds. At that size they eat a lot. They dig holes in the sides of your ponds to make spawning holes.

There is nothing wrong with having channel cats in the pond, but they shouldn't be over stocked. I wouldn't put more than about 15 per year into a 1/3 acre pond. Once they get to a pound or two, they start harvesting your bluegill, and bass if they are stocked.

Ken

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

Peculiar Friends are Better than No Friends at All!