Thanks for the response. The holes I dug were approx 6-8' deep using a mid sized excavator. It just seemed that when the holes were dug the walls of the hole were dripping water fairly fast as well as at the topsoil line. This was something I didn't look at that close because I saw water and thought that was good. The clay seemed to pass the ribbon test in my hand but does contain gravel and I will try to post pics of the clay pile. The property is sloped about 20-25' from the top hole to the bottom hole and the holes were dug in the spring so ground was wetter than normal with frost coming out and maybe the holes relieved some pressure for the water to run not sure. Another question I have and I hope to ask it clearly enough for you is this. If I line the pond with clay how far above the expected waterline would the clay be? And would this effect how much runoff gets to ponds? The other question I have is on the uphill side of pond what is the way to tie in clay to topsoil to get the best runoff. Hopefully I worded this right for you guys to answer. Again I will be running a supplemental well too. Thanks.