But
Originally Posted By: Pat Williamson
Cat
What time is dinner? Mmm

Being a time zone behind us, most has already been devoured.

It is crappie (craw-pee here) spawning season, so this is the time of year I try to remove as many as possible from my main pond. Neighbors put them in that pond long before we bought this place.

They are one of the few types of fish that I scale, rather than skin. The scaled fillets get marinated for about 30 minutes in kosher salt, garlic powder, black pepper, cayenne pepper, Worchestishire sauce, and a little water.

I coat the fillets by shaking them in a plastic shopping bag that has a mixture of a half-cup flour to a tablespoon of corn starch for about every 8-10 fillets. The corn starch really seals the fillet while making the coating very crispy. The crispy fillets remain very moist below the coating.

This time of year I always have a box of sprouting potatoes. Tonight I took two very large potatoes and cut off the eyes (sprouts). I cut the the remaining potato carcasses into small French-fry size.

The ptatoes got cooked in the Canola oil I used to fry the fillets.

A few weeks ago, I harvested some of my horse radish roots. They were skinned, ground, and put into a vinegar-salt solution. Tonight I made a "cocktail" sauce from commercial ketchup and my horse radish sauce. The fish and potatoes got dipped in this cocktail sauce as they headed to the tongue.

Now I'm full and ready for a good nights sleep. In the morning I'll plant the potato sprouts.

I also kept the fish heads/filet skeletons. They are brining in a salt solution overnight. Tomorrow I'll turn them into a fish stew that my Finnish mother called mojakka (pronounced moy-aw-kaa). Typical reaction to Mojakka.

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

Peculiar Friends are Better than No Friends at All!