Field mice, how do they do it?
I had my Mustang parked in back for a few years, no surprise that I had mice nesting in there. Mouse pee smells great.
But the neighbor had a large nest in the airbox of this car, that was driven daily. Doesn't seem like a great place to make a nest.

And I just finished some work on the wifes car, found a stash of poison pellets in the engine compartment.
I don't even see how, the car is driven daily and it is parked on the street, far away from any of the poison I put out in the garage/storage in back.
But we do get birds nesting under the hood of the cars in the spring, supposedly they have caused a few car fires in the past around here.

And let's not get started on the mice that got in the apartment a few years ago.
Most of them were smart enough to avoid the traps I had, would just see them everyone once in a while or hear them scurrying in the walls at night.
Finally had enough and punched holes in the wall so I could place poison bait in there.
Sealed the walls back up with the bait in there, no mice since.

We back up to a bean field, so every fall we start the battle again.

I am not a fan of poison, but I have learned my lesson and just place it around every fall.

Doing some spring cleaning today and finding bodies and poop everywhere, I did not bait until mid winter, those buggers got into everything.
Maybe I haven't learned my lesson yet.