Originally Posted By: anthropic

Great info, basslover. Of course, we know how big California LMB get feeding on trout, which confirms your experience.

Both tilapia and trout get plenty big enough to encourage LMB growth to 10 lb. The only real issue I see is that I need to keep on feeding. Another advantage is that it would take some pressure off the CNBG population.

That is why I began feeding my bass trout - seeing the large bass in Cali dining on trout. I wasn't certain how my LMB would react to the inclusion of trout. I know where some LMB hang out, so I took a few trout over there and dropped one in. My water clarity is crystal clear, so I had perfect visibility 4 feet down. The trout hugged the pond bottom, two LMB swam over, one nudged it near left pectoral fin and the other LMB just sucked it in sideways and took off with it sideways in its' mouth.

I baited one on and within 30 seconds had a LMB on the line.

I later added a few more and watched as the LMB just slammed the trout.

I know my LMB had never seen a trout before, so I wasn't sure how they'd react. But they quickly began eating the trout. When you look at the shape of a trout compared to a panfish it's easy to see why a trout may be preferred over a bluegill - the torpedo shape is so easy to swallow and there aren't all the spines on the trout like the bluegill has.