Originally Posted By: Bill Cody
I think that often the biggest bass are eating the biggest forage fish that are often sickly or weak with old age, thus they pick the easiest biggest weakest prey to eat. A lot of fish die of old age each year. Few others can eat old age BG or other fish except the biggest predators. Old eating the old type of thing. Does this fit into the optimum foraging theory?

This made me think of this quote from Cliff Clavin (Old Cheers TV Show). (I will apologize now Bill C. for tainting your profound thinking with some maybe not so profound! grin )

Well ya see, Norm, it's like this... A herd of buffalo can only move as fast as the slowest buffalo. And when the herd is hunted, it is the slowest and weakest ones at the back that are killed first. This natural selection is good for the herd as a whole, because the general speed and health of the whole group keeps improving by the regular killing of the weakest members.

"In much the same way, the human brain can only operate as fast as the slowest brain cells. Excessive intake of alcohol, as we know, kills brain cells. But naturally it attacks the slowest and weakest brain cells first.

In this way, regular consumption of beer eliminates the weaker brain cells, making the brain a faster and more efficient machine. That's why you always feel smarter after a few beers."

grin

Last edited by Bill D.; 03/18/15 05:09 PM.

[Linked Image]
Be Brave Enough to Suck at Something New!