Originally Posted By: Pat Williamson
I have been a offshore charter captain( retired) for a long time and have a way to process any kind of fish, fresh or saltwater. First we add lots of ice, then add enough water to make a slush. Then add enough salt to make it very salty. This will drop the water temp around 32 deg. Chunk the fish in alive as you catch them. This will set up hyperthermia in the fish causing the blood in the fish to go into the organs and out of the flesh,death is quick and after awhile when you clean them all the blood will be in the innards not the meat, causing better tasting fish, this method is used by commercial folks on tuna that will be sushi grade.... Try it and good eating

Pat

Hey, Pat. I've been on some Louisiana offshore and marsh charters, usually had a great time (seasick once).

The best technique I've found for keeping the fileted/steaked/gutted fish fresh for the longest time is somewhat similar to what you did out on the Gulf.

1) Pat the fish dry as possible. Bacteria like moisture!
2) Place dry fish in plastic sealable bags. Empty air out as much as possible.
3) Put layer of ice in chest. Sprinkle with large salt, ice cream maker or ice melter. This causes the temp of the melting water below 32F. Yes, salty water stays liquid below normal freezing point!
4) Place bags on top of layer. Put another layer of ice, sprinkle with salt, repeat.

When home I leave fish in cooler, periodically adding more ice and salt. Keeps it colder than fridge, but doesn't freeze.

I've had fish remain fresh & delicious without freezing for ten days using this technique. Probably won't be as effective for fatty fish, never tried it.

Last edited by anthropic; 02/28/15 03:35 PM.

7ac 2015 CNBG RES FHM 2016 TP FLMB 2017 NLMB GSH L 2018 TP & 70 HSB PK 2019 TP RBT 2020 TFS TP 25 HSB 250 F1,L,RBT -206 2021 TFS TP GSH L,-312 2022 GSH TP CR TFS RBT -234, 2023 BG TP TFS NLMB, -160