Update. Further reading indicated that ponds of "average" fertility can NATURALLY produce around 200 lbs of trout per acre. That is 200 1 lb trout or 66 three pound trout. Thus there is a wide range of possible numbers and or size of RBT that can be grown naturally in this one ac high elevation pond. IMO water clarity will be a key factor as to the amount of trout the pond will support. Regardless, I would stock at my recommended numbers and watch what happens with their growth rate. Stock lower numbers and watch how they grow. If they grow quickly to 16"-18" after 1-2 years and minnows are still abundant, then fertility and pond conditions are good and the pond will likely support adding more trout. Again use a minnow trap during pond visits to monitor how many minnows the baited trap will capture. Be aware that bird and animal predators can take a toll on trout numbers; sometimes causing up to 40%-60% mortality.

If it were my pond I would consider having the caretaker feed the trout 1/4" pellets just once a week using 50 lbs of feed per year,; feeding at the same spot, same time each day. During mid-summer when water temps are above 70F the trout may not come to the surface for pellets. Once per week feeding will allow you and the caretaker to routinely assess the number and sizes of the trout to monitor overall how well they are doing during the open water season. From these observation sessions you will better know when to add, remove, and manage the trout numbers.

Provide the names of your local warm water fish hatcheries & possible web links and we will see if there are any panfish that might fit into your minnow - trout fishery.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 02/28/15 01:42 PM.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management