FHM during winter will be where they are at during most of the year - shallows and among shoreline cover if it is present esp when predators are present. It is the trout that will change habitat locations during the year. My suggestion of using just FHM and RBT was what I would try first - no proof it will work. My guess is my idea will overall work better than FHM-YP-RBT. Every pond is different. Degree of success will depend on how much brush cover he puts down along the edges. This is why I suggested up to 50% or even more of the shoreline shallows lined with cut brush. Finely divided brush will fairly quickly degrade thus it will require annual spring brush placement. Ponds can be a significant amount of work. If his pond develops sizable weed beds then this can serve as FHM habitat. However most owners will not tolerate sizable weed beds in a recreational pond.

Increased winter predation of FHM is why I advocated significant amounts of brush lining shorelines. Trout IMO will be hesitant to penetrate deep into twiggy shoreline brush. Trout esp larger ones are not typically known as dense cover niche fish, and are unlike LMB especially smaller bass of 5"-8" who will readily penetrate dense brush/weeds chasing minnows. I think a majority of the RBT predation will occur outside brush lines. Under clear ice cover, I often see minnows scooting out from shoreline cover of the 2"-6" depths when predation is present. Shallowest dense cover will be the habitat that protects the FHM year round.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 02/26/15 02:10 PM.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management