Just a late winter update. Not much going on with pond activity with record low temperatures in February. We have not been above freezing temps for 18 days and have had many record setting lows including -17 last Friday.

Still, you can see a dark, bare (no snow) wet spot at around the area we have previously seen water trickle in at around the 15' deep mark. In the rest of the pond there is a good 20-24" of snow.

As a reminder the center depth of the pond is 28' deep. When I walked down near the opening I took one step too close and went through the clay all the way up to my groin. It was obviously very wet and completely took me by surprise as it was an area I had previously stood on. It was about 4' from a small opening in the iced over area.

What do you make of there still being a saturated area as well as an open ice area with the cold temperature we have been seeing? As moving water doesn't freeze as fast I'm assuming I have a spring or active ground water percolating. Still surprised it hasn't completely frozen shut.

Good/Bad? Wait till spring and we will find out?