The biggest problem with chains, as I see it anyway, is the Superman complex....that's where we see a need for improvement, and act on it accordingly.

"The thing was helpless on snow/ice before I added the chains/bigger tires/studs, etc, now it can go anywhere, climb trees and swim rivers, and it's more powerful than a speeding locomotive"

Okay, but it's been my experience that all things mechanical have an inherent, weak link. And once that weak link is identified and bolstered, then the weak link just moves up the mechanical chain so to speak, to the next weakest area. And chances are, this one might not be as benign as a spinning tire. ($$$).

Adding chains is fine, as long as the machine is still operated within its rated capacity. But I have many customers who push the envelope too far with their new-found traction, and then I get the call. Good for my business, bad for their wallet.

When I worked at the dealership, I remember getting the service bulletin from Deere advising that installing chains, or switching to lug tires on the entry level, inexpensive lawn tractors, would void the customers warranty on the spot. Those spinning tires were intended to be the weak link. And the next weakest link turned out to be the axle shafts themselves. Ouch.

"Forget pounds and ounces, I'm figuring displacement!"

If we accept that: MBG(+)FGSF(=)HBG(F1)
And we surmise that: BG(>)HBG(F1) while GSF(<)HBG(F1)
Would it hold true that: HBG(F1)(+)AM500(x)q.d.(=)1.5lbGRWT?
PB answer: It depends.