Originally Posted By: TGW1
Originally Posted By: DonoBBD
We built this floating dock. Our water level can change about 3 feet through the year. We have in water weights that hang from a pulley system that takes all the jounce out of the dock.

She is 16X16 with a 16X5 foot gain way.

Cheers Don.

Don please describe your water weights. My floating pier is pretty stable but would water weights help even more? and haw are the pulley's designed??
Thanks
Tracy

The weights are 5 gallon buckets. One is full of cement and the other is 3/2 full. All were pored with a hook in them in the center. They are hooked together with air craft cable that is stainless steel. The outer most corners of the dock have the pulley hanging from it from my 6X6 block. The pulley is just a cloth line pulley 8". The one bucket stays on the bottom while the other hangs halfway from the bottom. This was done on both outer most corners of the dock.

When the dock then moves quickly up or down side to side the two pails need to pull through the water for the dock to move. These act like big dampeners cutting the movement in the dock by 70% maybe even more. They act as anchors too.

If my barrels were partly full of water they too would have to move up or down for the dock to move. With all that mass in the barrels it would have stopped all the movement in the dock.

Below is a picture of my first idea. I simplified it greatly with four five gallon buckets.

Cheers Don.

Attached Images
dock_stabilizer.jpg

[Linked Image from corvettejunkie.com]
http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4

7/8th of an acre, Perch only pond, Ontario, Canada.