I can't give you a proper authoritative answer Snakebite but can tell you what I did.

In my main pond the LMB last fall were getting up in to the 12-15" range. Considering that LMB can eat a BG about a third its length, I figured the 5-6" BG I had were either runts from the original stocking or from the earliest spawn from my original stockers which were then in the 8" range.

So figuring that my LMB could not eat the 5-6" BG, and there seemed to be plenty of smaller BG plus a good spawn of FHM, I took a couple hundred of the 5-6" range out of the pond (via angling. transferred the 5-6", C&R the larger sizes). I needed some larger BG to stock in my old refurbished pond any way which had a population of GSF. Stocking small BG would have just fed the GSF. So I had a place to use the 5-6" BG.

Don't know if that was the right thing to do or not, but it made sense to me. Freed up some resources for my original stockers so they could continue to grow larger by reducing some biomass, while still leaving all the BG sized correctly for my present LMB size.

Now the experts can tell you if I did it wrong or not.

Last edited by snrub; 01/31/15 12:41 PM.

John

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine