All

Been using a sparrow trap to manage an ever booming population of House Sparrows which raid my wild bird feeders and are a general nuisance. House Sparrows are in fact not a sparrow - rather an invasive species of weaver finch introduced from England just like Starlings. They displace our native cavity nesting birds like Eastern and Western Bluebirds - killing adults and brood in the nest, along with Purple Martins and other swallow species. They are not a protected species, and as a wild bird enthusiast, we're encouraged to try and manage the population in any manner possible.

I've used a repeating sparrow trap with good success the past several seasons, however, squirrels and blue jays often rob the trap of feed before I can trap any house sparrows. It's gotten to the point I can no longer use the trap as they are stealing feed faster than I can keep it loaded, so I'm turning to my PB family of inventive DIY experts for a solution.

I would like ideas on how to utilize electricity to euthanize birds either at a feeder or bird bath location. I'd need the option of turning the electricity on with a switch indoors so I don't harm any other species of birds. Maybe a broomstick with two wires running the length, which could be screwed into a floodlight socket outside the home run by an interior switch? When the birds land on the wires, which would have some kind of bait suspended above it, their feet would complete the circuit once I flipped on the switch and they'd be euthanized. I know absolutely nothing about electricity so not sure if this is a sound design or not. Could one electrify a feeder tray made of copper or aluminum and filled with preferred sparrow feed and activated from indoors somehow?

Looking for any ideas here - these vermin are out of control and I'm out of options. My native birds are suffering...need your help.

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]