Originally Posted By: canyoncreek
The tilapia and swai bags were sold by a local supermarket chain that is present in the great lakes states and no where else called Meijer. They 'rebrand' their packaging but often get it from local sources. The bag only mentioned that they were 'farm raised'. I'm not sure I would be able to tell any more than that. It looks like swai need moving water, hence living in large river backwater areas. Not sure how they raise them in farms, and I wonder if they do raise them in the southern US? they need 70 degree water.

Repackaging and not including country of origin accurately is illegal. You should report to USDA.

As said no problems with US produced farmed fish. Human excretement is used for pond fertilizer in some third world countries. Sorry but that crosses the line for me along with overuse of antibiotics.

Don't know anything about Swai.

Keep in mind there is a lot of misinformation out there are on U.S. farmed fish and caged sea raised salmon. For one thing people want to put third world farm raised fish in the same category as U.S. farmed raised fish. U.S. farmed raised fish have to follow strict protocols. No so with the other.

Also the people that bash U.S. farm raised fish say they are full of pesticides and heavy metals from the feed and water supply. A bald faced lie. The feed is tested and pesticides and heavy metals are not an issue. They push wild caught because in many cases their is a lobby for wild caught.

But here lies the irony: most farm raised fish use an uncontaminated ground water source while our oceans are the dumping ground for everything you can imagine. On top of that if the fish used to make the feed are wild caught from the ocean, wouldn't the wild caught fish that eat the same fish be contaminated too?

One lie I saw recently on folks pushing wild caught is that cage raised salmon are fed kitty litter. There is no way a fish could live and grow on a clay product.

A while back I found a blogger bad mouthing U.S, farm raised fish. All lies with no citations. Come to find out she had a degree from Purdue, but it was in fashion merchandizing! Didn't have a clue to what she as talking about. Oh but you should have hard the people eating it up!

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.