Originally Posted By: esshup
Sean, I agree about the maps and compass. Once you have that skill, and use it enough, you'll never lose it. That also applies to knowing how to fold the maps back up! Get 'em a Silva Compass. The one that I used to use was very similar to this: http://store.silvacompass.com/professional-military-ranger-cl

Having a navigator helps immensely, but since I do 99% of the driving by myself, the GPS (if it's a good one) takes the place of having a warm body in the passenger seat.

Rex, since you have first hand experience with both (or all 3) companies, how does the response time of the different brands compare, i.e. how much lead time do you get before getting notified that a turn is coming, or that you should be in such and such lane for an exit?

JKB summed up features pretty well. Of the ones I have, my DESL760 is my fave! It has a 7" screen, but isn't overly large while being very easy to see/program on the move...a big deal in an area like Chicago in heavy traffic!

I like the new "exit" view both Tom Tom and Garmin have. They both post an actual picture of the exit along with what lane(s) you should be in. Notification at highway speeds are 2 miles, and at least 3 warnings along with distance in tenths of a mile, and feet. At slower speed, exits will be from couple tenths of a mile to a miles, but always plenty of heads up. Loading and recalculation times are really fast now also.

Whatever you get, get the lifetime map and traffic version. Bothe Tom Tom and Garmin include a "user update" correction loading capacity as an option too. If you see a map, speed limit, or other error, you can comment on your unit, and when you connect to a computer, you have the option to report errors. If a few other's report the same, the manufacturers create a map update to correct your unit.

Scott, another huge bonus is the phone book that is loaded into the units....anything from a gas station to lodging, to repair shops to gun range can be found, with phone number.

Last edited by Rainman; 01/08/15 09:06 PM.