Lynda got me a little "Bushnell Back-Track" several years ago. It is a limited GPS device and an electronic compass. It lets you put in three way-points, and it tells how far, and what direction you are away from your waypoints.

It isn't for driving. It is for walking/boating/etc.

I love it. Although, these days I mostly use it in big parking lots to find my little car or little truck when I park between the big trucks and vans. I don't do much in big wilderness anymore, but in conjunction with a map, it is fantastic. I used it to finally find all my property markers using my property plat -- twenty seven different "corners" with neighboring properties. It is also great if you are on a big lake with lots of twists, turns, and coves. When the grandkids ask "are we there yet" when you are doing a river float canoe trip, you can set the start point and end point. It gives you a pretty good idea of how far you still have to go. If you have a fishing map, it gives you a pretty good idea where to find rapids, etc.

The best things are that is uses just two AAA batteries that last for many months, and the whole thing is only a little bigger than a pocket watch.

Anyway, it is just something else to think about.

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

Peculiar Friends are Better than No Friends at All!