Just a quick update - I got the old pond pumped out and treated the cattails (and cut a few) just before the ice showed up. I figured that once the ice came in, I would cut off the rest of the cattails and then treat anything that emerged in the spring with Rodeo.

What I didn't plan on was the spring continuing to re-fill the pond and it is now back to it's original level and frozen over. The large pond is also iced over and the springs are still running so we are at 6 1/2 feet now with single digit temps.

I have some structure made but not placed where I want it yet and supplies to make more but no ambition to go out in 10 degree weather to make it. Also have things almost figured out for the aeration system I want.

In the spring, I will again pump out the small pond and try to get someone in to clean out weeds, muck, and cattails with equipment.

Currently looking into how I need to stock it. Planning on BG as soon as temps allow and try to establish those for good feed for some LB next year.

I am considering Crappie and Perch but not sure if this is a good idea. I read pros and cons. My goal is to have some nice bass for adults to catch occasionally and "fish" in general for my grandson to learn on and enjoy - he is 1 1/2 now and got his first fishing pole for Christmas.