Originally Posted By: DavidBiss
2 acre Pond - NE Texas near Paris. 1 year old pond. Good supply of CNBG and large mouth bass. Good structure etc.. - I built it in. Bass are in the 12-15" range. Moved them from a buddy's pond from his culling program. Don't know the bloodline of those bass. Good, not great, catch program this past summer/fall.

Definitely have the mindset of wanting to grow some size, but what good is size if you can't catch them. I'm willing to spend some money to do what I need to do. What would you guys recommend as far as introducing some new bass this spring to get my bloodlines to be where the fish are more lure friendly over the life of the pond. And where would I get those?

Thanks

DB

David, may I share my thoughts on “CATCHABILITY”?

I remember well the the first “bass” I ever caught - it was more than 80 years ago and I was fishing for “brim” with worms on a cane pole - ram out of worms and caught a LMB on a berry blossom.

I have fished for LMB my whole life until I discovered Striped bass and found them more “catchable” and more sport than LMB and never fished for them again until my son built “our” ponds - he is a hard core bass fisherman so we stocked LMB.

Since my passion was stripers, I stocked Hybrid Striped Bass and managed exclusively HSB and my som fished his “bass”.
He is a good fisherman with the skill and patience to catch pure Florida bass as well as others I know - so they are not all that difficult to catch.
Over pressured LMB become hook shy as CJ alludes to.
It just takes skill and patience to fish for them.

If you are wanting “catchable” fish for sport and table fare, I always recommend Hybrid Stripers - they outfight LMB any day of the week and you can grow them to 6 - 8 lbs easily in a 2 acre pond.

The reason I am now interested in LMB is due to the new catchable” strain now called Camelot Bell LMB.

Good luck with your program and Merry Christmas - off to church now.
George Glazener

N.E. Texas 2 acre and 1/4 acre ponds
Original george #173 (22 June 2002)