Been trying to take a couple does to manage the population during muzzle-loader season and had seen a herd both yesterday and the day before, but without a close shot. Yesterday I saw where they came out of one of our stands of overgrown spruce Christmas trees, and this evening I stood downwind about 40 or 50 feet in my appropriate dark green camo. On cue a nice big doe came out, and as it worked out, I had my 3rd heart short of the season (dumb luck). When the smoke cleared, it lay about 50 feet from where it was shot. One of the largest does I had ever shot, so I ran my hand over its head to be sure it was not a button. Went back to the house and grabbed the jeep and my wife to load it up. My wife said that is a nice doe!. Then she said, but it smells like a buck. My wife takes over when I shoot a deer, so I knew something was up. I went back to the head and saw that it was a shed. No bumps - just small areas where the antlers had been (probably a 1 1/2 year old). I will be cleaning up the guns for the year. So much for managing the herd for trophy bucks this year. Best intentions thwarted by early shedding antlers...

Last edited by RAH; 12/19/14 08:01 PM.