Your testimony shows how important it is to use the best compaction possible when building a pond. Proper soil compaction is a very big part of "building" a pond. Evidently some of the best pond builders still do not fully understand the roll of soil compaction for building low leak ponds. What does that say about the average or even good pond builders? Best is not always the best. As usual 'it all depends'.

""..he had never used a vibratory roller before and argued with me when I wanted to use one. I asked him to rent one and I'd pay for the 3rd party rental, so we agreed on that basis."" Your decision to go to the extra effort for getting the vibratory compactor was your insurance for minimal leakage. Very smart decision. When I rebuild any of my ponds I will insist on a vibratory compactor. I have seen first hand the benefit of using that machine. A well sealed local pond was built using a vibratory compactor and our local "best" pond builder and construction company said a good pond could not be built in that location. That construction employee even used to work for the Soil & Water Conservation District as a pond designer!.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 01/15/15 09:46 AM.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management