Originally Posted By: The Greer
Thanks for all the comments.

Originally Posted By: george1
Greer, all good advice above.
What part of Hunt County are you located?
George Glazener

I'm near Greenville and Commerce. Do you know if this area has good soil? I know there is a significant amount of dark clay on the top. After seeing some digging done deep down it's much more tan color but still very much clay.

All of the contractors I've talked to so far say the same thing that for farm ponds they don't need compaction.

Greer, I am very familiar with your area – I travel from Plano to my son’s place near Cooper – travelling between Greenville and Commerce.
Almost every piece of property that I see on this route has dug stock tanks for cattle, and no managed ponds. – I will look closer next trip.

Are you generally north or south of the highway – flat backland wheat country to the north or rolling hill county and trees to the south?

If your property lies to the north in the flat wheat country with black gumbo clay soils , the pond builders you have spoken with are correct in saying no compaction is necessary - if just a hole is dug in the ground. This is what I mostly see on this route.
If a dam is required those dark clays cause problems due to contraction and expansion, and I would be leery of their advice.

If your property is to the south of highway with trees with clay and sand, these are some of the best dam building dirt around but needs some compaction.
I am not aware of any leaking ponds in this area.

The geology in this area is interesting . My son’s place is located in the Cretaceous/Tertiary geologic outcrop area with lots of trees with with a small creek – a quarter mile to the north, it is flat land with wheat fields growing in black dirt!

A Google Earth image would be helpful to provide additional information – you can crop the coordinates from the image to maintain confidentiality.
Also a topographic image of property would be helpful – others on the forum will will able to contribute – lots of helpful talent on this forum.
Good luck,
George Glazener

N.E. Texas 2 acre and 1/4 acre ponds
Original george #173 (22 June 2002)