Originally Posted By: Dave Davidson1
One thing I've learned from this site is that everything regarding fish is regional. My thoughts, opinions and advice on fish feeding and management isn't worth diddley when I'm talking to guys up North. Even after many years of messing with ponds, I am absolutely unqualified to give advice or opinions to anyone from temps and climates unlike my own.

Stocking rates of predator/prey come to mind. In warm climates we get bass heavy and bluegill light without extensive management. The reverse is true for those in cold country. And, it took me a long time to realize that. Generally, never say never, fish in different geographic locations just act and feed differently. That has to be regarded when initially stocking and forever when managing.

Nate is growing monster fish in ice fishing country. To sustain that growth rate his fish just about have to be eating 12 months of the year. Mine don't about 50 miles South of Oklahoma when I get a temp drop. But they GENERALLY start again when temps improve.

I have 2 ponds that are 1/2 mile apart that act differently. Why? Beats me.

I started pond management and fishing after years of competing in bass tournaments. I had to unlearn a lot of things. I'm still unlearning and relearning. And, I've killed a lot of fish when I started wondering what would happen if.

Well, since everyone thinks this is the most wonderful advice they ever heard,, the one and only constant that matters , remains. Fish are going to eat whether anyone likes it or not. They are not going to eat themselves to death , as has been suggested here. Killing fish is one thing.......but a fish killing itself from over eating is quite another. Garden web....let me say this again, Garden web, The authority on wild game fish , has a lot of ole boys who manage ponds, scared.

It has nothing to do with " what if" in this particular matter.
If the fish are going to eat....feed them. It's not going to harm a single thing. Now on the other hand , if you go spraying a mat of FA that covers your entire pond in one swoop.........you can expect to kill your fish...no what ifs there.

But I can tell you with 100% certainty.....you're not going to kill your fish by feeding them. I don't care what " Garden Web" says.
It's just like I said before........0 law suits due to massive fish kills over winter due to feeding aqua max.......has NEVER ever happened and will never ever happen. Never.

To the OP who posted this topic.......Feed your fish. If you feed them, they will come.

All of this is a myth........internet rhetoric.........complete BS to put it harshly.

And look, Im not trying to offend any of you guys.
As far as Im concerned, you're overwhelmingly helpful and a bunch of good ole boys with a lot of experience in managing ponds. Nothing can take that away from this site. The truth is what it is no matter who wants to believe it. I'm fond of you folks. So don't get mad.