Originally Posted By: Flame
whats to keep rye grass seed from simply washing into the pond?Will birds eat it? You mentioned temperature suitable to plant seeds. Is it already too late? When should I plant and how? I have a walk around and crank spreader. Remember this is 2 acres with a 20 ft wide road on top. Help!!

I drag chain, just like Bill D. Surface tension is the biggest issue with seeding IMO. Even a light raking, will help retain seed, and get it off to a better start. Rye likes soil above 50 degrees to germinate, so I'd check my soil temp. If your soil's too cool for planting until spring, somebody else will need to help you with that. I've got limited experience with both erosion matting and spread hay.

If you can drive an ATV or a truck around the pond, I would invest in a hitch mount food plot spreader. They're relatively inexpensive, and you can also find them on Craig's List. There is the possibility that you might be spreading seeds and fertilizer multiple times over the next few years, and it'll really pay for itself in time alone. If you go with a hand crank spreader, I'd check with Forestry Suppliers Inc. They have some heavier duty chest spreaders. I have a Solo unit, for Navigate and Cutrine, and I love it. Much easier than the green hand spreaders at Wally World.

If you can get a good succession planting next spring, say March for Rye, and May/June for Bermuda, you'll be surprised how much turf you can have in a year.

AL