Captwho,

I've stocked RBT most winter seasons here in the mountains of WV. Actually, I've stocked more "golden" trout than true RBT. The goldens are mutations of RBTs. They may not be available where you are. They are pretty easy to find here in the mid-Atlantic area.

All are great fun to watch and feed. When we feed the trout, they all seem to have bad eyesight. They attack the floating feed like it is dragon flies well above the top of the water. After dancing on their tails, they bellyflop back into the water.

Last year I made the mistake of putting the trout in my hybrid bluegill(HBG)/channel catfish (CC) pond.

I could not catch the trout from that pond. The HBG and CC would instantly grab anything that hit the water. The trout were too cautious. We only got a fraction of them out before it got too warm for them in June.

I've had a lot more success in catching my "winter trout" in my pond that has pure strain bluegill and largemouth bass.

In any case, they are just plain fun to have in a pond.

I like the trout when smoked or pickled. But for frying or broiling, I sure prefer my catfish, bluegill, and bass.

Good luck/Good eatin'
Ken

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

Peculiar Friends are Better than No Friends at All!