I posted pics of this rock when we initially installed it but they were in another persons thread. So the first two pictures are repeats.

But we have not had enough rain to provide runoff to fully refill the pond until recently. So finally have some pictures with the rock with water around it like it is supposed to be.

Actually the pictures are when the pond is about 3" above full pool and water was running out the overflow. Right after a large rain so all three ponds were overflowing. So the water settles a little lower than in the pics....... about 3 more inches.

Carolynn wanted a big rock along the bank, so when she did walks around the pond, she could sit and............... not sure what, contemplate the world I guess. But she wanted a big rock to sit on. She wanted a BIG rock. Like the size of a pickup truck. After explaining the weight, logistics, freight and cost of obtaining such a rock she settled on this big sandstone in the picture. It was actually a cornerstone rock from the addition on our 1900 era barn. It was taken out during repairing of the foundation. The rock was quarried not far from here probably about a hundred years ago.

With the water level low this summer, I dug down deep into the clay bank a couple feet, filled with rock and concrete mix for a foundation, then laid sandstone rocks with concrete mortar and finally "the rock" on top. Setting it carefully on there with the telehandler without knocking everything over (and having it tumble to the bottom of the pond - I ain't goin after it if it goes.....) was no picnic, but grandson Bret and I got the job done.

Anyway, here is our pond rock in all its glory, from installation to full pool. Only my wife can think of such things. Now she can dangle her feet in the water while contemplating whatever it is women contemplate. It's a complete mystery to me.

Attached Images
051.JPG 053.JPG 028.JPG 029.JPG 022.JPG

John

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine