Originally Posted By: esshup
Ya'all need some pin oaks. They like having their feet wet. The woods behind the house is predominately pin oaks - it used to have standing water in it until June. They are a characteristic tree of wooded wetlands.

I'm no expert on trees. Know enough to know which ones make good fire wood and which ones are hard to split. These could be pin oaks for all I know, just know they are called water oaks around here. But they fit the same description for growing conditions as you state. Very often found in areas that have a lot of water, but are also common in tree rows in upland. At least I assume they are the same tree. Might not be but look very similar.

I know some of the ones in flood land area are really hard to push out with a dozer. The tree grew as a sapling then a flood silted it in. Repeat. Root crown might be down six feed under compared to the same tree grown upland.

My very first experience with a dozer was with one of these oaks probably 4' in diameter (seemed like it was 5 but been so long ago probably exaggeration is setting in). I was still in high school and a local contractor had hired me to custom bale some of his hay for him on his farm. He had me run his old D7 3T cable dozer (1950's vintage) to do a few odd jobs. He also had a D8 later model machine and his operator was there and this guy thought he would have some fun with me and told me to get on the old dozer and push this tree out. Thought they would both have a good laugh at my expense. What he did not realize is that although I had not ran a dozer but for a few hours, I'd been driving tractors since 6 years old and had been observing not only his operator but another neighbor operator for some time. So although I had not been on a dozer much I knew a few things about how to use one.

I took off with it, dug about six feet deep all the way around the root crown, then built up a ramp about 8 or 10 feet high up the side of the tree with dirt. In about an hour, over it went. The root ball was so big it nearly hung me up as it went between the blade and the front of the tractor but I managed to back off it.

Needless to say the guy was impressed and hired me to run the old dozer that next winter (after graduating high school) clearing trees and leveling strip pit dumps. Below freezing with tarps on the sides and the fan reversed blowing hot air from the radiator back over the open operators station. Those were fun days.

That is how I learned to operate a dozer. Later in life bought an old dozer about like that one I ran (D7 17a cable operated). Now I'm in hog heaven retired with a D6N XL (hydraulic 6 way blade) to play with.

More than you ever wanted to know.

Last edited by snrub; 11/05/14 01:11 PM.

John

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine