Yes, I figured the water would eventually get to both of the oak trees there.

I don't know if the names I'm giving the trees are correct. It is just what they are called locally.

What we call water oak are extremely common, especially in creek bottom areas. The wood is not much good as it splits as it dries out because the tree has a lot of water content when it is cut down. About all they are used for is making pallets and split and dried for fire wood. Very low value for logging.

The Burr oak on the other hand is a good lumber tree and has very large acorns. Maybe an inch or an inch and a half acorns, and a very large pretty leaf. They are nice trees and much less common.

The alternative was to take the trees out now and have a bare bank, or leave them till they went bad. Son cuts lots of firewood in the fall/winter and sells it (as well as burns it himself) so as the trees goes bad he will have no problem removing them. His family fits the red neck description pretty well. They hunt deer, fish in the creek, spend a lot of time in the timber camping, garden ect. (He is also big into solar power and is thinking of putting solar aeration in the pond)

I know trees around and leaves in the pond are not the best for the water environment, but they sure add to the aesthetics of the pond. That and the fact that I had already spend several times as many hours on the dozer as I originally planned cleaning out this pond, leaving the trees was just easier. Notice I did take a pole saw and clean up the lower branches so it was easy for the kids to play around the trees and mow around them.

Thanks for all the comments.

Last edited by snrub; 11/05/14 12:42 PM.

John

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine