Originally Posted By: FireIsHot
Originally Posted By: sprkplug
Ahh...George, I think you've nailed it. Where I've screwed up may be in equating larger size (growth) with maturity. Up here that's usually how it works. Matter-of-fact, it's far more common to see the reverse scenario, whereby a BG is mature, but small in size. (stunted)

My tendency to rely on characteristics familiar to me may be far less effective when applied to a faster growing fish. That makes a lot of sense. Thanks!

Al, that fish is tremendous. No denying those male characteristics!

Thanks Tony. We probably do have faster initial growth down here, but the trade off to me, is the shorter lifespan. That's why properly aging my larger CNBG is so important to me. Is there still potential growth in a fish like I posted, or is he a senior and close to decline? I've got something in mind that may make scale aging identification easier, but I haven't tried it yet. DD1 got me off on another hobby, so I'll blame him for me getting behind on other stuff.

Al, another point that you called to my attention earlier, is that Todd mentioned that his OTS did not get as long as Waldrop's pure Florida CNBG?
Another challenge when age dating?
Was your huge CNBG one of Todd's CNBG or one of Waldrop's?

G/

N.E. Texas 2 acre and 1/4 acre ponds
Original george #173 (22 June 2002)