Originally Posted By: overtonfisheries
All of these look like females to me, but sexing CNBG can be tricky, especially if these were caught out of spawning season. Its too bad most folks just take photos of their large male CNBG with the prominent colors and characteristics, and we see very few photos of large CNBG females like these…

Glad to see Todd chime in on this subject!

Al (FireIsHot) and I have been discussing this very subject as a result of follow-up of last week’s fishing trip at Al’s lake. We have a problem comparing my light colored OTS CNBG from my turbid water pond to his dark colored OTS CNBG from his clear water lake.

We did a lot of comparisons of our CNBG caught the past week from each of our ponds, as well as previous photos, and came up with M/F ID that we thought correct , until I ran the photos past Todd Overton that is… grin We were wrong, according to Todd, by overlooking a key point plus the fact that CNBG can change color in a heartbeat. A new criteria from Todd was females vertical stripes are usually more broken and indistinct that males. He also examined other criteria. My only comment is that I have NEVER seen a mature male 9-11 inch CNBG with a small ear flap or missing prominate copper bar on it’s nose.

Thanks Todd, I thought only large OTC CNBG merited photos… shocked
George

Last edited by george1; 10/31/14 03:27 PM.

N.E. Texas 2 acre and 1/4 acre ponds
Original george #173 (22 June 2002)