Originally Posted By: Dave Davidson1
Greer, welcome to Pond Boss. Your question of low maintenance/no feeding/no aeration/self sustaining/feed the family isn't new to us. But I have no knowledge of anyone being really successful at accomplishing their goals under their own conditions. Mama Nature just doesn't cooperate. It's about like planting a garden and assuming that no weeds or pests show up and rainfall waters it. I might add that even with my guidance my children didn't turn out to be perfect.

Rex(Rainman) is right about tilapia yielding more protein per acre than any other option.

This stuff takes work/knowledge and cash infusions. Even though we often harvest from our ponds, we would be better off financially going to Krogers.

Dave is right on - as usual!
Even though we often harvest from our ponds, we would be better off financially going to Krogers.

Common carp are the only self sustaining species that I know of that would be on the Kosher list. They can survive in almost any body of water, large or small, hot or cold, pure water or putrid water.
The problem is you have to be an expert angler in order to harvest them - they are one smart fish. A blast to catch on a fly rod if you are into that kind of stuff. smile

If I could roll back the clock which I can't (my doc says I can only slow it down grin), I would stock common carp in a small pond just for sport fishing. They are becoming a very popular sport fish in many lakes and streams around the country - being called "Golden Bones" compared to highly sought after tropical bone fish.
I love them on the fly and folks tell me thy are very good to eat when smoked or properly prepared....
George Glazener

Last edited by george1; 10/30/14 06:30 AM.

N.E. Texas 2 acre and 1/4 acre ponds
Original george #173 (22 June 2002)