At the risk of nitpicking...3-4" age 0 SMB could be your suppliers runts/least desirable fish from this year - so if that's your only option, you should keep that in mind. Runt fish do not represent the genetics you want to achieve trophy status.

As a comparison, the smallest SMB I collected this year from my reproduction/growout cell was just under 4" - most ranged 4.5-6" with a dozen that were amazingly 7-7.5" and my top fish was just under 8". In order to serve as a comparison with your source - my fish spawned in late May this year and grew out for just under four months. If your fish are from way up North, the later spawn and shorter growing season might account for some difference in size, but I shouldn't think it would represent that much difference.

Just something to keep in mind - I'd be looking for 5-7" SMB this time of year or would wait until the following season. If you are having issues sourcing SMB - I'm sure Esshup, Cody, Cecil or Rex can help you. I'd be proud to have some Hudland SMB up in IN, but the list next year is already pretty long and there's no guarantees with SMB recruitment - I'd hate to be unable to deliver on a promise. Thankfully SMB are finally catching on in NE!

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~ Henry David Thoreau

[Linked Image from i1261.photobucket.com]