I have suffered with lower back problems for over 15 years. I will try to make this very brief.... I am not one that easily pops a pill or go under the knife. Started off with medical doctors who said nothing was wrong. Went to a chiropractor, who has helped me get thru some very rough times without pills and the knife. My day will probably come for that, but not without a fight.

Best advice that is proven for me: never stop the exercises/stretches. Go to the chiropractor and find out what is wrong. If he does not give you specific exercises/stretches, then you need to ask for those (if he doesn't at all, move on to another chiro_). The doc can't make you do them, BUT you need to do them. Even if it is forever! You might start feeling better and think that its not important and stop. You might get away with that, but if it does comes back, and you go thru it again, then never stop the routine of exercises/stretches. Most people are just to busy(or lazy) to keep at it, and eventually you pay for it one way or the other.