Something I did on my son's refurbished pond with some nice small trees is I took a limb saw and limned them up high so the pond could be seen through the grove. Made a nice area for a picnic site.

The government NRCS agent could give you some good guidance on dam construction and the area of runoff that will enter the pon., Figuring the watershed area could help determine if you will need a well to keep the pond at acceptable levels. Our local agent is a very good and cooperative person with a lot of practical experience. That may vary from area to area and person to person. But it is a government soil conservation service that your tax dollars pay for and is available to you.

That did not answer your question on which plan I liked better. I don't have a definitive preference. Try to envision the view from where you will be spending the most time. For example, picture windows in a house, fishing/boat dock, yard, etc. Trees make a pond look a lot nicer, as long as they are not close enough to cause a water management problem.

John

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine