Ok, time for an update on this pond with the GSF and BH problems.

Decided to just live with them and manage around them. Been catching by hook and line and trapping as many GSF and BH as we can. Used a larger fish trap to trap the larger BH's and several minnow traps to trap the smaller GSF. Also the BH spawned and I caught hundreds of the half inch long little black things with a dip net around the shore line.

Abandoned plans for a RES heavy pond. As we are removing the BH and GSF are also catching 4-5" BG out of our big pond and putting them in this pond. Have probably put at least 250 of these BG along with a few larger and smaller ones.

Also have been adding the BG/GSF hybrids to this pond as we catch them out of our big pond. Probably have put about a dozen of the hybrids most in the 7-8" range.

Also caught and added 6 LMB ranging from 9-12" over the last several months. Caught one of those a few days ago that has grown to 14" so the GSF and BH diet it has been on seems to agree with it.

The 200 RES I ordered from the fish truck that turned out to be of questionable pedigree, I put some of them in this pond. There was definitely GSF genes in some of them. They were not very big though so I imagine most of them became GSF fish food. But if some of them survived, they were surely some of them RES and the rest maybe hybrids or maybe just more GSF. Did not figure they could hurt much.

Oh, put about 15 CC from my other pond in also. Hopefully they will eat some of the BH.

Anyway that is the update. Been entertaining trapping/catching BH & GSF while catching small BG to put back in their place.

It will become a traditional LMB, CC, BG pond with some RES, GSF, hybrids and BH for variety. Maybe.

Last edited by snrub; 10/12/14 09:30 PM.

John

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine