I've done it with and without a bobber. I do not use any kind of weight. I also try to have a soft presentation(no weight) when pond fishing. Of course, that depends on the size of the pond.

You might also find that the fish know from your foot steps that you are there. I've often tossed a grasshopper into the pond and had it make it back to the bank when I'm fishing. I'll bet that thing would get eaten if I weren't there.

I never use a weight when worm fishing and go with 6 to 8 pound line. More than likely 6 pound on a spinning reel. Even then, I seldom catch over one without changing my location.

Try tossing a weightless worm onto a nearby bank. Wait about a minute and ease it into the water. Move it very slowly and occasionally vary the speed during the retrieve.

Some on here have used 2 pound line when BG fishing. I can't tie that stuff or even see it.

The bottom line is that the fish don't like to get jerked around by the jaw. They can become conditioned by observation.

As you get a little deeper into this stuff you will find that some fish are genetically wired to not eat anything with strings attached.

Last edited by Dave Davidson1; 10/10/14 04:19 AM.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP