For this situation with "I've had FHM, GSH and LCS in the pond since April." there will be no problem of adding the pellet trained 4"-6" YP this fall. Actually they could have been added when the minnows were added in April. After a summer of FHM spawning there will be very high numbers of YOY FHM. The pellet YP (4"-6") will not significantly impact the FHM population since this size of stocker pellet eating YP will not eat a lot of FHM and the ones they do eat will primarily be 3/4"-1.5" during ice cover and early spring 2015. This leaves the larger FHM for next years breeding season. I have experienced this numerous times previously.

If the pellet trained YP were added in April-May this year and fed pellets there would still be lots of FHM this fall and next spring for brood stock spawning. As long as the YP are fed pellets the FHM will be abundant until the 1st or 2nd spawn of YP recruits are adults and they will then be eating significant amounts of minnows. Youngster YP (1"-3") will also feed fingerling or juvenile SMB. You will likely not see FHM disappear from this pond until the SMB have spawned the first time. By then the other forage GSH, LCS together with YOY YP will be the main forage fish of adult YP and SMB.

Expect at least some of the stocker 4"-6" YP to spawn in 2015 at one year old which frequently happens with well fed, well growing one year old YP. By the end of 2015, one year from now, Jamie should be seeing 8" to maybe a few 10" YP especially if pellets are fed. At end of year two 10" to 12" YP should be common. Keep us advised of your progress. Let's see how close I come to being correct.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 09/24/14 10:33 AM.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management