Originally Posted By: Zep
Originally Posted By: highflyer
Putting brush piles in deep water is not usually beneficial to fish populations. From surface to about 6 feet deep. That is where the fish are going to live and that is where they need habitat. Really deep stagnant water will not hold O2 and will hold Anoxic gases in suspension which will keep the fish away.

Brian I am not disagreeing with you at all, just trying to learn something here.

It seems like I have read many times that during the winter months on Lake Fork that fishermen catch bass, crappie, and catfish in "deep water". I think I have heard reports of "the fish are suspended at 25 feet".

Are you saying a pond is different than a big public lake as far as where fish can survive and the fish being around deep structure in a much larger body of water?

Thermoclines will tend to be a deeper in large lakes because of the ability of the wind to better mix the water. In small ponds that are protected from wind the thermocline may only be 5-6 ft. deep where as in a big lake it may be 15-20 ft. deep or deeper.