Well, I lucked out, timing wise. I was up there Saturday morning and the two guys that had been working on the pond decided it was time to cut in the spillway/pipe.
It's a 12" plastic sewer pipe.
It's set up to be 8" lower than the emergency spillways.
Cutting it in..

Pipe in place with bottom of seep collar showing. They used roofing tar around the pipe, bolted the two plastic sheets together then used tubing clamps completely around the collar. It won't be leaking through the collar.

Finished look..

They packed it in very solidly around the entrance to the pipe on the face of the dam and around both collars. Using a sledge to pound in the clay very tightly.
The filling in of the trench, I was a bit concerned about. Just packing it with the bucket on the track hoe. But they got all the dirt back in.
I also noticed where they were cutting in the slots for the seep collars, that digging with a hand shovel was very difficult. The clay in the core seemed as though it was very densely packed.
I filled a water bottle with pond water, from water near the surface. It's sitting in the barn. I'll take a look at it later this week to see if any of the clay is settling out.

9 yr old pond, 1 ac, 15' deep.
RES, YP, GS, FHM (no longer), HBG (going away), SMB, and HSB (only one seen in 5 yrs) Restocked HSB (2020) Have seen one of these.
I think that's about all I should put in my little pond.
Otter attack in 2023