Heckuva good question. I reread the article and there was no mention of forage stocking sizes and numbers. A trophy predator needs trophy sized forage. And yet, the forage can over populate without something grazing on them when they are small. This might mean stocking a bunch of forage that only spawns annually like green sunfish and/or redears. Add tilapia for the summer and trout for the winter. Aeration and a bunch of fish feed is also key.

And, a lot of this is regional. My thoughts/advice is pretty useless unless you live in the area that I understand with long, hot summers and temperate winters.

I've actually done this type of thing on other peoples ponds in North Texas. And, it's not very much fun to have a pond that you have to hold off on fishing for several years. Even then, you seem to wind up with a bunch of big fish with lock jaw.

It's not about the fish. It's about the pond. Take care of the pond and the fish will be fine. PB subscriber since before it was in color.

Without a sense of urgency, Nothing ever gets done.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley Rancher and Farmer Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP