Originally Posted By: overtonfisheries
I think it is important for us to note and consider the efficiency of different aeration systems. SOTR (Standard Oxygen Transfer Rate). SAE (Standard Aeration Efficiency).

SOTR and Pumping Rates

Products that boost oxygen concentration most efficiently are paddlewheels and surface agitator type systems. Paddlewheels are used mostly on fish farms and are not very practical for pond owners. Surface agitators that pump water vertically are rated below paddlewheels in oxygen transfer efficiency, and they mix water vertically (limited to 8-10' depth) as well as horizontally. These surface agitators are practical, can be used for emergencies or run on a timer, and are readily available on the market. Diffused air systems have the lowest SAE values, but they are an efficient means of lifting deep water (8'-30') to the surface and aiding in destratification. Destratification is great for overall water quality improvement in deeper, larger bodies of water.

I would like to know if some of the diffused aeration folks have SAE ratings for their products. It would also be interesting to know how SAE ratings are influenced by factors such as water depth, type of diffuser, size of bubbles, etc.

In my opinion, diffused air systems are not as useful in small shallow ponds. They can move water vertically in an efficient manner, but do they add significant amount of oxygen to the water and are they capable of overcoming a significant oxygen depletion? I have clients who have had plankton crashes resulting in fish kills, even with diffused aeration in place. Hopefully we have resolved this by using diffused air in combination with surface aeration.

Great information and I've been wanting to ask the same type of questions but wasn't sure how to ask!!

Last edited by mnfish; 09/05/14 02:40 PM.