Hey guys,
I have been on here since 2005 and have been dreaming of owning land and building a pond since I stumbled onto this site and even before.I'm a single dad of 4 kids (3 daughters and a son). After years of dreaming about it, today I close on 12 acres in Kaufman County, Tx! Planning to build a pond 1-3 acres.

About the pond...
The Ponds main purpose it to grow/house lunker bass......
Forage Plan
Shallow Water Forage
Snails
Grass Shrimp
Crawfish
GG Bluegill
Gambusia Minnows
Fathead Minnows
Deep Water Forage:
Threadfin Shad
Golden Shiner * Possibly

Predator Fish:
LMB F1 or Bass

*I am thinking of doing something unconventional and stocking only 5lbs+ and above...I fish a lot and catch many bass of this size from ponds/lakes etc and thought over time, if I only have baitfish and add one or two (5+) bass a week, that I could have a lunker program in half the time... because of the run off from ponds above mine, I don't think I would be able to grow and maintain a clean strain of F1's or Camelot but thats not to say I won't try them either...

Vegetation:
Do you suggest planting any vegetation or allowing things to take root naturally? I know some vegetation will clear up muddy water and I would like to have a "clearer pond".
Recommendations on vegetation to add to a pond that won't over run or be a nightmare later?

Structure:
There are so many things I want to do, from a shallow area with log jams, to a rocky shore with rip rap, an island, underwater humps...Got so much to plan for...
Any ideas where/how to do or find materials cheaply?

About the Land
This land is shaped like a utility knife. I would love to have 3-5 acre pond but I think I will build 1 acre as a time as my pocketbook permits. The land has a patch of dense trees which are located in the flood plain.. My goal is to dig out the floodplain, build a dam and clear out some of the trees...I want to keep as many trees as possible as I love the thick forest there but I will dispose of them quickly for large bass..sorry not sorry ha.
I'm thinking of creating a channel where the creek would normally be and just have that go through the pond..3-4ft dug down...any problems with having a channel through a pond?

Any issues with building a pond in a floodplain? Things to watch out for?

I am attaching a plot of the land so you can see what I am working with.

Looking forward to hearing feedback.

Thanks,

- 1 Excited Texan
Photo Gallery 1- Land and Before Pictures

Photo Gallery 2 - Clearing Land Pictures

---> Photo Gallery 3- Digging the Pond

Photo Gallery 4- Pond Filling Up

Attached Images
Screen Shot 2014-09-04 at 9.57.29 AM.png
Last edited by 3z3k3l; 02/26/15 12:01 AM.