I'm a brand new member with some basic questions. I would like to create a pond on 20 acres I own by damming up a ravine. The ravine has a watershed of a little more than 6 acres so the pond will be smaller than 1/2 acres. I have seen ponsimon the area similar to what mine would look like but I haven't found discussions on this forum regarding some of my concerns. The questions I have are...

1. I would like to dig some test holes but equipment access is impossible since the ravine is narrow with steep sides and heavily wooded, I hate to clear cut the ravine to find out the soil won't hold water. The soil on the property appears to be primarily clay and data from area wells all show clay to a depth of 40'. Opinions on clear cutting a very pretty ravine with only this data or ideas on test digging in an inaccessible location?

2. The ravine deepens quickly so even a 1/2 acre pond will require a 20 foot dam. I have a question on compacting the core and dam. Does the entire dam including the slopes need to be compacted with a or is it standard to use a sheepsfoot on the core and simply track in the slopes.

3. I would like to keep the natural look of the ravine and leave the trees at the top of the ravine. This would require leaving the current slope which is as steep as 1:1. This means that the sides of the pond basin will not be able to be compacted. Is this a deal killer?

Any and all input is very welcome.