Originally Posted By: Lovnlivin
I got about an hour in before I got dumped on and took several casts before the first hit, then ended up with 9 total before the rain hit again.

I first tried the curly tail on the jig head as shown in the upper right of my previous post but found it very difficult to cast due to the weight of the jig head. And had the same trouble with the wooly bugger. Instead of casting the line I felt like I was casting the fly and it was definitely a struggle! But the bumble bee popper (much lighter) was much easier and it's what I caught all the fish on.

Any suggestions or tips when using the heavier flies?
I'm also struggling with getting much distance. It seems the more line I let out, the more it loads up(?) yet I'm trying real hard to not go forward or back until the fly/fly line has fully extended.

Maybe it's just a matter of more practice, but thanks in advance for any help!

Keith

Keith, Cabela's RLS+ Fly Combo, 9' 6wt, 4pc. really a nice combo rig – CONGRATULATIONS on fly combo – nice fly selection as well!
Maybe a faster action than a beginner rig but not sure - a friend of mine just bought a 5 wt but haven’t cast it.
Kirk’s suggestions are well taken – fly rods are like golf clubs – hard to play a round of golf with one club, so as you go forward a heavier fly rod will be needed for tossing big bass bugs. Also his thoughts on sink tips, integrated sinkers etc are good info.

But that stuff will come in time, so have fun with your new found “addiction” with your smaller panfish flies.
If the RLS+ is a fast action as I believe it to be, I would “up-line” it with an 8wt floating line – as you know, you are casting the fly line and not the fly – an 8 wt fly line has a heavier “belly” and I believe will handle your larger/heavier flies.

Just my thoughts with early morning fuzzy brain – need another cup of coffee.
Have fun with this stuff and don’t let it get complicated.
George

N.E. Texas 2 acre and 1/4 acre ponds
Original george #173 (22 June 2002)