Edit: Sorry Scot looks like we posted at roughly the same time.

The BG and fathead minnows won't need to be feed trained most likely. If you consistently throw feed out in the same location at some point they will show up and show up on a regular basis.

As far as redbreast sunfish I have no idea if they will do the same. No experience with them.

Most likely your CC's will already be feed trained at the hatchery, and SMB will be extremely difficult to get on feed if they are not already feed trained. Also the larger a fish is the harder it will be to feed train them.

Typically feed training is best done when the fish are very small and they are crowded into small tanks where there isn't anything else to eat. It's either eat it, cannibalize your smaller neighbor(for predator fish and insufficient grading) or starve.

The crowding sets up a competitive feeding pattern which induces feeding on artificial feed.

This year I started my perch fry in a tank on ground up krill fore the first few days. It's amazing how unfeedtrained fish will take to krill instantly. In fact they will attack pieces much bigger than them.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 08/22/14 10:49 PM.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.