Canyon
My way is different than the videos. I start the same, use just the tip to start with, making shallow cuts along backbone . I raise the meat flap as he does in the vid except that I don't push knife through to anal fin . I cut along the back and then across cutting as I go ,(I noticed how much meat was left on lower back near tail by him just shoving knife across on top of bone.. As much as 1/8" thickness left . On bigger fish this can be more.)if I'm gonna filet it I want it all. Actually I start at the top of the head not at gills. Once I have the meat cut away from the back up to the ribs( don't cut through them at all) and down to the tail and across to anal fin you should have a flap of filet held by the ribcage.. Now don't go any farther on this side... Go to other side and do the same thing... You have noticed one side is harder to do if you remove the filet before (flapping both sides). Now to the fun part. Pull up flap where you can get to rib area . Take knife tip and follow ribs upward to skin side, now flip fish to skin side down on cutting board take knife and filet skin away, do this in multi cuts so you can see as you go. Filet will come off with NO BONES just rinse and bag, now do the remaining side. The fish carcass will have the skin, head, ribs, guts on it . This will keep your knife sharp longer