Originally Posted By: Bill Cody
If we had a well fed 9.0" BG it has a standard weight of 0.62 lb or 9.92 ounces. If we had a standard weight BG that weighed 1 lb 5 oz it will be 11.27" long. A 1 lb 5oz a 9.0" BG would have a Wr (aka Rw or body condition) of 212. Really fat fish have Wr of 100-125 maybe even 130 for fish in exceptional cases such as full of eggs or a really fat fish after a large meal. The BG above does not look to be overly plump.

It might be a good idea to weigh a couple standard weight items with the digital scale to verify that it is correct. Here are some volumes of tap water to weigh to test the digital scale.
1 cup (236ml) of water should weigh 8.3 oz
2 cups of water = 16.6oz and
21 ounces (1 lb 5 oz bgill) will be 2.51 cups(594milliliters) of water
measure out 2.5 cups of water and it should weigh 1 lb 5 oz using your digital scale. We are interested in your test results.

Bill, really good information, but there is one variable missing from Wr charts that is obvious to me with CNBG, and that is width.
When our CNBG hit about 9-10 inches they begin to get wider and thicker. I have only seen a couple or so pure CNBG over 11 inches after more than 10 years observation.

How much do think this would change Wr charts if width was considered as well as length?

Calibration of scale data is interesting - never tried it with cups of water on digital scale. I just hang a gallon of tap water in a jug on my boga and 8 pounds is good enough for me. Being a geophysicist, I do know that density changes velocity of sound in fresh water vs. sea water, so I also assume mineralization changes weight?

Not nit picking - just interesting data.
Thanks for your interesting post.
George

Last edited by george1; 08/20/14 06:38 AM.

N.E. Texas 2 acre and 1/4 acre ponds
Original george #173 (22 June 2002)