You - we are working on new techniques here. No set methods that I know of for killing giz shad with super cooling. What does the bathymetry map of the pond look like? From my experience, if you have basically only one deep area then set the aerator in that area and maybe another one towards the longer basin in 10-12-14 ft of water. This should pretty well circulate the cold water throughout the main pond. Temperature probing the far reaches of the pond away from the aeration will give a good indication of the degree of circulation. Measure the temps at 6 to 8ft deep depending on locations at least 100-200ft away from the diffuser. The longer you circulate during winter the more complete the cold mixing will become - 24/7 if you want the best it can be for diffuser set-up. If you find water that is 38F to 39F then these areas are not being mixed. Plot these temperatures on a map of the pond. This will show were other diffusers need to be placed for more complete circulation and next year's thinning of shad. super chilled water of 36F and below should kill giz shad? Good circulated areas during a PA winter should lower the water temps down to 33F. I think (?) giz shad will live in our Maumee Rv when winter water temps get down to 32-33F.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 08/01/14 01:14 PM.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management