Originally Posted By: catmandoo
[quote=esshup]

Minnow traps baited with cheese, bread, fish pellets, etc., have brought in nothing.

Oh well.

Concerning minnow traps, I get widely varying results, and do not know why. For example, I was getting traps half full of FHM this spring. I could not believe how many were cramming in there (for stocking my forage pond). Then at other times I'm lucky to trap a half dozen. I move the trap around to different places, different depths, but have never been able to determine a pattern of "why?"

Sometimes they just seem more intent on getting into the trap for feed than others. I have two different traps and the metal one has a larger opening than the plastic one. Sometimes one will catch more than the other, sitting within ten feet of each other. No explanation.

As an aside, the one with the larger opening catches a lot of BG fry so I really have to watch it if I'm only wanting FHM. The one with the smaller opening will catch a very small BG fry once in a while, but nothing like the other one. I can tell when I got a bunch of BG because they sound like beating drums inside the trap. Been using the trap with the larger opening to remove small bullheads and GSF out of the old pond. Works great for that. Put in a shallow area and put out some feed so they get used to coming there, and a person can trap a lot of them.

John

I subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine