Hey, what do ya'll think of this from the LBF Fishing Record site: Land Big Fish

RES are native to the SouthEast, so I looked at those states 1st. Some states such as AR and MO had some pretty noticeable outliers. Other states had incomplete records for either the RedEarShellcracker or BlackCrappie or the BlueGill. NorthCarolina didn't breakdown Black or White Crappie. TN was kinda northerly and had a pretty small RES record (3lb,6oz) but neighboring NC has big RES. Since TN record was small, and CA was warm and had complete RES/BC/BG info, I threw that state into the mix.

So, I averaged the state records for 5 southeast states that I believe the RES are native or somewhat native to (AL, FL, GA, SC, NC) plus CA/TN.

RES: 4 lbs,10oz. BC: 4 lbs,9oz. BG: 3 lbs,12oz.

I know, White Crappie are a bit larger than Black. But if BC didn't spawn out of control most folks would still find their size acceptable and go that route.

My point, there's BG only ponds, in spite of prolific spawning. So why not RES only ponds? Seems it'd be a great alternative to the channelcat small pond concept!

Last edited by SoSauty; 07/28/14 06:48 AM. Reason: attempt clarity

Self-educated rednecks, the real intelligentsia.